A virtual classroom is an online learning platform that allows teachers and students to interact in real-time. The system utilizes the latest technology such as screen sharing, video conferencing, and online whiteboards. This allows educators to conduct live lectures and discussions with their pupils in an interactive environment seamlessly from any place. Virtual classroom software platforms aim at replicating the experience students have in physical classroom settings. However, the system offers them many other additional advantages. These include the opportunity to offer their feedback, real-time interaction with their peers, and obtaining course materials via file sharing.
Why are educational institutions using virtual classroom software systems?
Engaging students using the traditional classroom model of learning during the Pandemic can be challenging for most teachers today due to social distancing and fear of virus infections. Moreover, even in the pre-Pandemic era, many of these educators do their best to try to make classroom learning sessions interesting. Unfortunately, most of the pupils find the lessons the teachers impart to be tedious and boring.
Most of the time, they are taking down notes and trying to memorize facts in their curriculum. This suppresses their inherent creativity and critical thinking abilities. Many of them even question whether what they are learning can prepare them to secure a lucrative career in the future. This is why many educational institutions are resorting to online learning using a virtual classroom software platform.
Using the latest virtual classroom software to conduct online classes, teachers can:
- Ensure the students learn at their own pace and from virtually any location in the globe,
- Showcase the learning materials on the subject they are imparting vide multimedia files and slide shows which comprise interactive audio and video files.
- Boost the students’ learning experience with real-time screen-sharing and the latest whiteboard features,
- Conduct interactive games and quizzes to assess how well the students grasp the subject they are teaching,
- Interact with the students to clarify their doubts on the subject through real-time video-conferencing or online email chats, and
- Record the learning sessions for the benefit of students who could attend the online class or want to revise.
The benefits of using a virtual classroom software platform for educational institutions in conducting online classes are as follows:
- The students and teachers can access the study modules from any location,
- The option to build, analyze and create an archive of lecture sessions which teachers can rely on later,
- Teachers can use the interactive multimedia features to impart instructions that students find engaging, and
- Educators can get an instant and precise evaluation on how the students are able to grasp the subject they are teaching, and
- The students get ample opportunities to engage in peer-to-peer learning via video conferencing or online chat sessions.
Operating a virtual classroom software platform allows educational institutions to take student engagement in online classes to the next level. However, the system they choose should easily integrate into their existing IT infrastructure and contain the latest features. These should include a digital whiteboard, real-time video-conferencing capabilities, secure file-sharing attributes, high-quality video chat options, and instant messaging. This ensures a high level of interaction between the teachers imparting the lessons and students attending the online classes. Above all, the system should cost-effective to install and operate for all schools and educational institutions.